Kitchener's Island, known also as the Island of Plants or the
Botanical Garden, is a small, oval-shaped island in the Aswan
archipelago. It's located between Elephantine Island and the west bank
of the Nile.
The island was given to Lord Kitchener as a thank-you for his
services in the Sudan Campaign (1896-1898).
With the aid of the Ministry of Irrigation, Kitchener rapidly
transformed the small (approx. 750-meter-long) island into a paradise of
exotic trees and plants and carefully planned walkways.
Today, a biological research station is present at the southern
tip, which is closed to visitors.
Kitchener's Island is one of two major islands in the Aswan
archipelago. The second island is Elephantine
, which is much larger and located between Kitchener's Island and the east
bank of Aswan. It’s therefore hard to see the smaller Kitchener's Island
from the corniche.
Today, Kitchener’s island as a whole constitutes a botanical
garden. It’s particularly popular among the local people and tourists as
a spot for weekend picnics or for a quiet afternoon away from the noise
of the city.
HOW TO REACH THERE:
by private felucca
or motorboat from the corniche.