Philae Temple was originally located on an island that was known
as Philae, in the Nile Valley south of Aswan.
After the construction of the old dam in 1906, the temple was partly
submerged under the rising waters. With the help of the United
Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
(UNESCO), the temple was moved to its present location on an
island called Agilika, south of Aswan, below the High Dam. It
was a massive project and it took over 9 years to move the
Philae Temple is actually many temples dedicated to more that
one God. However, the main and largest temple in the complex was
dedicated to the Goddess Isis, who was the wife and sister of
Osiris and the mother of Horus, the falcon God. Isis temple with
its huge pylons and beautiful scenes is considered as one of
Egypt’s greatest temples.
The temple was founded by King Ptolemy II, and then other
Ptolemaic Kings added more parts to the main Temple.
During the reign of the Emperor Justinian (527-565 A.D), Isis
Temple was converted to a church.
(as from July 2013)
Adult: LE 60
Child: LE 30
HOW TO REACH THERE
By car (20 minutes), then by motorboat to the island (15 minutes).